- KMWA’s Well Woman clinic (WWC) at Nairobi west is fully operational.
- KMWA in collaboration with The Consolata Shrine Dispensary is operational and it continues to provide basic primary health care to the poor in the community.
- KMWA organizes outreach services to communities in hard to reach areas and slums and refer to either WWC or other outlets for services. KMWA has a focus on cervical cancer and breast cancer screening.
- KMWA has been working in collaboration with International Partnerships on Microbicides (IPM) in advocacy related activities. IPM is developing Microbicides based on ARVs that women can use vaginally to protect themselves against HIV. The Dapivirine ring which is IPMs lead Microbicide is the first monthly ARV based microbicide product to have progressed to phase III trials. The trials are underway but there is need for ground work. Currently, the project is involved in conducting focused group discussions (FGDs) and key informant interviews at Nairobi, Kisumu and Machakos as part of the IPM’s 2014 Dapivirine ring education and information campaign targeting health policy makers, health care providers to inform on the introduction of the Dapivirine ring to the market in order to facilitate its launch and widespread use. Under this partnership media training for outreach is prioritized.
- Cervix cancer screening and prostate cancer screening is periodically done free of charge at various places for example Kisumu where 562 people were screened and at Mombasa where720 people were screened. Positive cases were referred for further management. This was an excellent opportunity for KMWA to increase its visibility and also allow its branch members to participate in the association’s activities.
- Participation in important fora and events touching on gender and reproductive issues g. the Gender mainstreaming meeting organized by Department of Gender Affairs and KMWA sits in the Steering Committee as well as TWG on SGBV.
- KMWA main branches are in Nairobi, Machakos, Mombasa, Kisumu and Eldoret. Some new members have joined KMWA in these branches. More branches are planned and KMWA invites all women doctors and dentists to enroll.
- KMWA is accredited to the Board (MPDB) to give CME’s which earn members CPD points.
- Various organizations have shown interest in developing specific products for KMWA members.
Call us on
+254 729 479095/ +254 787 368881